2019 Good Sam Members of the Year
Fred & Margaret Spady
* Members of Sherwood Forest Samers for 15 years.
* Involved with parking crew basically since joining.
* Involved with managing various games.
* President of Sherwood Forest Samers for 4 years which time Margaret was in charge of new memberships, relative to welcoming/orientating new entrants
* Assisted with organizing and managing several Christmas parties with participation around 100. Arranged for entertainment & slide show/dvd presentations.
* Organized chapter campouts with chapter executive in Galahad, Wilton Park, Harmatten & other locations. Margaret very involved with arranging/managing food for these campouts.
* At Wilton Park, organized with Margaret 15th year Chapter anniversary.
*Assisted with organizing a salmon fishing trip to Prince Rupert for approx. 20 members.
* Organized and managed Round Hill Provincial Mini Rally with 125 rigs attending. At this rally Margaret was in charge of hall decorating, table arrangements and set up.
* Organized with other executive, chapter hoodies and golf shirts.
* Organized and managed Tri-Chapter May 24th multi chapter campout on at least 2 occasions. Margaret in charge of organizing and purchasing food,
* Arranged for speakers at various chapter meetings and rallies, visits to farms/Hutterite Colonies/meat packing facility.
# # #
Parkland Jays present cheque to Parkland Food Bank
On Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2018 the Parkland Jays presented a cheque to the Parkland Food Bank Society to help with their work in our community.
In the photo from left to right are: Yvette Foster, Vice President of Parkland Jays; Sheri Ratsoy, Executive Director of Parkland Food Bank Society; and Cliff House, President of Parkland Jays. The purpose of the Parkland Jays is to operate a social organization to promote the use and enjoyment of recreational vehicles and outdoor fellowship among its members through trips and group activities. Although fund raising is not one of our goals, we do usually have a small surplus each year and try to contribute to an organization which benefits the Parkland Community. The Parkland Food Bank exists to address the needs of hunger in Spruce Grove, Stony Plain and Parkland County, primarily by providing food to those in need.
We were pleased to take a short tour of the Food Bank facility, to see their operation and equipment and to note that they service approximately 400 families (1000 people) with 60 - 100 hampers going out in three hours, four times per week.The participation of many volunteers and local businesses, and of course much money, is needed to keep this effort going.
# # #
Parkland Jays Imrie Park "Pirate Theme" Campout
# # #
Parkland Jay members at Round Hill Rally
# # #
Parkland Jays -- Tour of the Reclamation of the Genesee Coal Mine
# # #
Parkland Jays Campout, Aug. 18, 2018
# # #
2018 Good Sam Members of the Year
John & Esther Crabtree
*Joined Good Sams in 1991 (Became Life Members in 1994)
* Have attended 74 rallies
* Held positions of President for 6 years (not consecutively)
* Was Vice President for 2 years
* Held the position of Wagonmaster & Assistant Wagon Master at different times
* Was Provincial Director for 4 years (2003 - 2006)
*Esther is the Historian for their club
VIP Table at Drumheller Rally 2018
Mars Bars Rice Krispie Squares
4 Mars Bars
1/2 cup margarine or butter
Stir in 3 1/2 cups Rice Krispies
Press into greased 9 x 9 pan.
Melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/8 cup margarine or butter
Spread on top of Rice Krispies. Cool in fridge and cut into squares.
(Note: To make gluten free, use Gluten Free Brown Rice Rice Krispies and Mars Caramel Bars.)
Parkland Jays Mystery Campout
"Root Beer Saloon"
2017 Good Sam Members of the Year
Walter & Laura Bassani
* Joined Good Sams in 2000
* Held the positions of President & Wagon Master
* Made porridge for Samborees for 9 years
*Attended 28 Samborees
* Organized Mystery Campouts for their chapter
* Laura held the position as secretary for their chapter
2016 Good Sam Members of the Year
Vi & Duane Gerber
* Have been in Rose City Good Sams for 20 years (Joined in 1996)
* Have held positions of President for 2 years, Vice President for 2 years
& Treasurer for 6 years
*Have been registrars for Samborees three times
*Started milk, soup label, pop tabs & tin foil programs
*Duane has acted as wagonmaster, pancake maker & firestarter at campouts
* Were Registrar & Treasurer for Ferintosh Tri-Chapter Campout
2015 Good Sam Members of the Year
Merle & Lois Stover
* Joined the Good Sam Club in Camrose in 1978
(along with their two young children)
*Held the positions of President & Vice President
* Have attended over 30 Samborees
*Attended the Spring & Fall Good Sam meetings over the years
* Played the keyboard at Samborees for the church services
*Mc'd Samborees for many years
* Helped with card bingo at Samborees
This recipe has the Executive's "Stamp of Approval"
Pina Colada Slush
1 can coconut milk
1 can coconut cream (sweetened condensed milk can
be used if you cannot find the coconut cream)
1 - 48 oz. can pineapple juice
1 - 12 oz. can frozen lemonade
2 cups white rum
Mix all of the above in an ice cream pail and freeze.
To serve, fill a glass 1/2 full of pina colada slush and
fill the rest with gingerale.
In June 2016 we had our annual "Alberta Provincial Executive Campout" at Lorne & Dianne's farm and it was a great success with good weather and lots of fun. On Friday afternoon of the campout we did a tour of the Erskine Hutterite Colony.
Letter of Appreciation to Camping World
I would like to express my appreciation to Camping World in Naples/Fort Myers, Florida area. My wife and I were camped at Naples when we experienced a major electrical meltdown in our Class C motorhome. Basically, our electrical transfer unit shorted out and caused major damage; rendering our electrical system useless. I contacted Camping World, who were unable to fit me in for two weeks, however, were more than helpful by referring me to Bobby's RV and Mobile Service, who promptly responded to our dilemma and although busy, expedited the repair of our RV.
The frequency of Good Sam/Camping World facilities on our travels through the U.S., gave us confidence that we had assistance and friends when we were so far from home.
Good Sam Member
The RVers Prayer
God bless our travelling home,
and guide us where ever we roam.
Help us find the roads we seek,
and please don't let the plumbing leak.
Save us, please from engine trouble,
and mechanics who would charge us double.
As we travel on our way,
bless us with sunshine every day.
And while you're watching over all,
could you let gas prices fall?
Lead us toward good food and friends,
and when at last our journey ends;
Grant our rolling home sweet rest,
until the next endurance test.
Summer is once again coming to a close, along with our RV camping.
In July, our Alberta Provincial Samboree board held a campout at Upper Shundra campground, just north of Nordegg. Because we are a newly elected board and didn’t know one another as we live in different parts of Alberta, what better way to get to know one another than with a campout.
We met on a Thursday at a group camp and while there we played a few games, sat around campfires, laughed a lot, shared potluck meals and left Sunday feeling like we were friends, rather than strangers. And because of this campout and getting to know one another, we feel we can work together better as a provincial group.
Each year your Good Sam Chapters schedule campouts for you to participate in. And sometimes clubs would like to experience new campgrounds. That is why we have created this page, so you can all share your stories you have to tell. Perhaps it is your favorite campground you like to go to, maybe you have a favorite recipe you’d like to share, or you have a funny anecdote you would like to tell about “the time you went camping.” Maybe you met a “Good Samaritan” on your travels who deserves recognition. Let’s get creative and make this a fun place to share your stories.
Please submit your stories, recipies, photos, etc. to email@example.com to have it put on this page.
-- Dianne Ransom, Webmaster